Saturday, August 27, 2011

Today's Thrift Store Finds

Popcorn Bowl, Jeans, Flower Pants
I really enjoy shopping at thrift stores. It is like Christmas morning wondering what goodies I will get. I always keep a list of things to be on the look out for and with patience I will eventually come across something that fits the bill.


Before I shopped at thrift stores, I would shop on two occasions (1) when I really, really needed something or (2) I just felt like spending money.

With the first scenario, I would spend too much because inevitably whatever I needed was not going to be on sale and I would not have time (or interest) in shopping around. The other downfall is that sometimes I got something that technically filled what I needed (ex: black pants), but it would not necessarily be something that I loved. I felt like I was merely checking it off my to do list. Because I felt like I was making do with the purchase, it seemed like it didn't take much excuse for me to find a reason to purchase something down the road that I liked better. Double spending whammy!

Other times I would shop because I was just in the mood to spend money. *GASP* You know the bug? The I-just-gotta-go-get-something-new-and-pretty bug. It might be clothes or it might be something for around the house. Again, no shopping around for deals. Truth be told, I never really needed whatever it was I purchased.

Since I started thrift store shopping I have found I am so much happier. I don't buy anything unless I really do need it or if I just love, love, love it. I don't get buyer's remorse, because I generally feel like I got the item for a steal. It is funny what I consider to be a bargain now. Today I saw a very nice Ralph Lauren sweater for $5. Now, if I had seen this in the department store for $15-$20 I might have talked myself into it. It is a nice sweater. The quality is very good. It is stylish. On the rack at the department store that little $20 price tag would have looked great next to the regular retail price of, say, $60-$70. (It was very similar to this one.) I would have felt like I was getting such a good deal that how in the world could I pass this up? Today, I walked away from that sweater and it had a price tag of $5. Seriously. I walked away from it. You know why? I did not love it.

What I did not walk away from are the deals you see at the top of the page.

Yellow Popcorn Bowl - $2.50 (regularly $5 but everything is half off today). I love the buttery color of this bowl. Little man came home from school on the first day and mentioned that his teacher's birthday had been the week before school. I may be frugal, but I don't skip an opportunity to do something nice for our teachers. I am going to put 3 boxes of dollar store candy (Junior Mints, Skittles, Whoppers) and a couple of bags of microwave popcorn. Put a cute tag on it (with scrap paper I already have) for a Movie Night Basket. Less than $10 for a gift for the teacher.

Gap Jeans - $1.00. You read that right. One flippin' dollar! Little girl needs jeans for this fall and these will be perfect. Regularly $1.99, but 1/2 off today. Just for kicks I checked out jeans on the Gap website and for her size they are $25-$30 brand new. Are you kidding me? For jeans my (almost) three year old will only be able to actually wear for six months (if I am lucky)?!? No thank you.

Pink Flower Corduroy Pants - $1.00 (Regularly $1.99 and half off today). Hard to think about corduroy in Texas right now since we are going on two months of over 100 degree temps. But, for those handful of days we get when it is really cold...she will be ready! Seriously, these pants hardly count as corduroy because they are so thin and soft. They feel so comfy I am jealous I don't have a pair. My best guess based on online searches is that these sell for $10-$20 brand new.

Not pictured (because I forgot about these two until just now):

Tinker Toys

Tinker Toys - $2.00 (Regularly $4.00) We already had one container just like this that little man got for his birthday a few years ago. He and his sister love putting stuff together, but they were getting to the point where they would run out before their creation was done. Now, they have twice the Tinker Toys to build BIG stuff. The kid were ecstatic. Before I tell you how much this retails for, you better put down your beverage. Seriously. I just checked Amazon at it sells for $69.77. If I didn't warn you to put your drink down you would have just spit it out. Your welcome.

Days of the Week Clothes Organizer

Clothes Organizer - $2.00 (Regularly $4.00) I always lay out the kids clothes the night before. With this, I think I will spend a few extra minutes on Saturday or Sunday and lay out all the clothes for the week. This is especially helpful for those times when Mommy is out of town and Daddy doesn't know there is a certain shirt that has to be worn on Friday. This makes my little OCD gene quite tickled. I saw a similar one on Amazon for $12.99.

For less than $10 I brought home some really good deals AND I have stuff that we love. Yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment