Friday, August 26, 2011

Food Waste Friday - Week 1

 

Click here to join us at The Frugal Girl
 At the start of the week I posted about a cool challenge over on The Frugal Girl called Food Waste Friday.  The premise is simple, you take a picture of whatever food went to waste for the week and maybe a few notes about what it is and why it was wasted.  Don't we all just love a good excuse?  The reason is not to gross folks out with garbage bag contents, but to hopefully minimize the amount of waste since we don't want to be embarrassed by it.  Humiliation can be a big motivator!

 This challenge must have been on my mind this week and the fact that I would have to post about it because...I really don't have much to report!



First up - some bananas that I thought for sure the kids would gobble up.  Most weeks we run out before the weekend and this greatly frustrates my girl.  She sure loves bananas!  This must have been more of an applesauce kind of week for her.  Anyway, they might not go to waste.  In the morning I will see if they are good enough to make banana bread.  We'll see.

Next - leftover pizza from Little Caesars.  I know, I am trying to be frugal and all, but I was just so doggone tired by the time I got home late the other night and they have that $9 special (pizza, bread sticks, and 2 liter drink).  I was weak.  Could. Not. Resist.

All in all I think it was a pretty good week.

Linked to:
The Frugal Girl

9 comments:

  1. Banana bread is so awesome! I must confess, sometimes I let them go bad just to make some. :x I have a recipe if you want/need one! And don't beat yourself up about Little Caesars. If they're not frugal I don't know of any take out that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try your recipe if you don't mind sending it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peeking around your blog this evening; thanks for sharing! We, too are on our debt free journey and hope to be able to scream sometime in the spring! :) Good for your for starting a blog, I feel the same way about whether or not anyone reads, it sure helps me process & grow personally.

    Bananas don't often go bad in our house, either...but when they do I put them in the freezer until I have a large enough collection to make bread. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by! I have been making some design changes, so I hope you weren't here when I had my margins all goofy. :-)

    You are right on the money - this blog is helping me personally (whether or not anyone reads). Journaling my thoughts (and a few pics) helps me wrap my brain around things and use a little creativity, too.

    Good idea with the bananas - I really should try that. I wonder if you freeze them in the skins or take them out?

    Glad you came by. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    Freeze bananas in skin. They will go black but for baking etc they will be fine.

    Christeen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip! This is sure to save me some money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids LOVE banana bread! Do post the recipe, if you have tried it and it's a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I freeze them in the skins. Just throw them on in there and wait for a couple of friends to join them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah ha! Well, isn't that a nifty little trick?!?

    ReplyDelete