Saturday, October 8, 2011

Fabric Banner


Pink Fabric Banner

  
 It seems like every where I went picking up party stuff for my little one's princess party...I ran into banners!  I must be the last person on the planet to pick up on this "new" trend.  There are a lot of cute ready-made banners that you can pick up cheaply, but they seemed rather "disposable".  I wanted to make something that I could reuse after the party by hanging it in my little girl's bedroom.  I also did not want to spend much (if any) money.


I will start by saying this isn't intended to really be a full "tutorial".  I did take a lot of pictures during the process, but lost them when my computer crashed.  :-(   There are some very good instructions out there and I have some links at the bottom you should check out.

I started by grabbing a bunch of fabric from my stash.  I was on a dress-making kick this spring and my girl is crazy into pink.  That means I have lots of little scrap pink fabric.  I also had bias tape and pink rick-rack.  Score!  I did not want it to be too matchy-matchy, but wanted them to look good together.  I measured out triangles.  I made sure I had two of each fabric because I wanted to have a back on them so I have more variety in how I can hang them.  I sewed around all edges except the top.  I picked a font on the computer and printed her name as big as I could get it (and still fit on the banner).  I used this as a template and cut out solid pink fabric.  I wanted the letters to be somewhat blend and I think I picked fabric that blends a little too much.  Oh well.  I sewed the letters on the triangles.  I then sewed all the fronts to the backs with pink rick rack peeking out from between.  I picked a solid felt for the rest of the triangles and placed them in between the pattern triangles. I sewed them together with double bias tape.  I love the way they turned out an my girl does too.  Now that the party is over, the banner is hanging above her bed.  Best of all, I didn't spend a dime making it!



Fabric Banner
 

Can't get enough of fabric banners?  Check these out ridiculously talented folks that are way better at putting together a true "tutorial".  Magnificent!



Made w/love
  


Get Your Craft On
  


Audrey Paudrey
 

birthday banner bunting tutorial
Vanilla Joy
 



The Little Things We Do

  Linked to:
While He Was Napping
Nifty Thrifty Things
DIY
The Girl Creative
Creating Really Awesome Free Things
Today's Creative Blog
Tip Junkie
A2Z Home Stories
You Had Me at Craft

1 comment:

  1. I really like how your banner turned out. I need to make one for my girls to decorate for b-days, but haven't come up with the 'perfect' design yet. I really like your overlapping.
    ~Kimberlee

    ReplyDelete